Tuesday, April 20, 2010

DO BLACK MODELS SELL COVERS?





I was so interested to see that this issue was tackled in the May Issue of South African Elle ... I've always wondered if the fact that blacks models did not sell as many covers as white models, was a myth or if it was true. I don't really know how to put hhis question to the test apart from asking my readers what they think... and in order for me to find out I will need your comments and input... I've put together a whole lot of my favourite covers with my favourite models of colour... namely Liya Kebede, Gracie Carvalho, Chanel Iman, Jourdan Dunn, Arlenis Sosa, Noemie Lenoir, Alek Wek and even Beyonce... especially considering that it took her so long to get her Vogue cover (she only got it last year after all this time). According to Anna Wintour the reason why there's a lack of black models on fashion covers, is because they don't sell... after looking at the above... I really find this hard to believe!

xGx

3 comments:

  1. I think I'll have to agree with Anna Wintour... I'm not disputing the fact that they are gorgeous women and so forth and that they make GORGEOUS cover models, I don't think they sell as many mags as white models. I mean in SA a magazine that sell with black faces on the cover is more over like True Love and Destiny as the blacks that grace the covers aren't always necessarily associated with being models. I just think that it depends on the buyer and not the cover per say!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Miz K. for your comment... I think I'll have to agree with you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. the reason why black models don't sell magazines is because they dont have as much exposure and the public is not given the chance to know who they are. People like Anna Wintour can make careers and they can move someone from just being a face to being a supermodel power house. If you only see black girls on special issues you will never get used to them! In South Africa we hardly put models on covers its always "celebs" and We don't have much of a model culture so it doesn't amke sense for us to try and sell magazines with unknown faces...

    ReplyDelete